January 2, 2022
Dear School Community,
We want to bring you up to date on several COVID-19 policy changes that happened over winter break.
On December 21, 2021, the Pima County Board of Supervisors adopted resolution 2021-87, which mandates face coverings for all indoor spaces in which 6 feet of social distancing cannot be maintained. You can read more about the face-covering guidance at www.pima.gov/maskupPC.
On December 27, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shortened the quarantine and isolation periods for the general population. As a reminder, quarantine is for people who have been exposed to someone who is positive for COVID-19, and isolation is for people who test positive for COVID-19. This new guidance also updates the definition of "fully vaccinated." Below is an outline of these updates:
If you test positive for COVID-19 (Isolate) -- applies to everyone, regardless of vaccination status
1. Stay home for 5 days.
2. If you have no symptoms, or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can leave your house.
3. Continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
4. If you have a fever, continue to stay home until your fever resolves.
If you were exposed to someone with COVID-19 (Quarantine)
If you have been boosted OR completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine within the past six months OR completed the primary series of J&J vaccine within the past 2 months:
1. Wear a mask around others for 10 days.
2. Test on day 5, if possible.
3. If you develop symptoms, get a test and stay home.
If you completed the primary series of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine more than 6 months ago and are not boosted OR completed the primary series of J&J over 2 months ago and are not boosted OR are unvaccinated:
1. Stay home for 5 days. After that continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
2. Wear a mask around others for 10 days.
3. Test on day 5 if possible.
4. If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home.
You can review the full CDC statement on their website at: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1227-isolation-quarantine-guidance.html.
We appreciate your teamwork in helping to keep our school community safe, healthy, and in school.
Wendi Allardice M.Ed
Academy of Tucson Schools