AOT High School Newsletter
Week of December 8 2020
Check on the progress of your student by logging into Family Link. https://hs.academyoftucson.com/Familylink/Logout.aspx
LIFT THINE EYES: The event page for Music's winter concert is now live! Click the link for tickets and information about this streaming event (streaming Dec. 10 at 7pm). Here. Use the code AOTHS2020! Please note that this streaming event will be accessible through any computer with an internet connection and will only be available to stream during the Dec. 10 timeslot.
It is imperative that students attend each class daily. Any student who is not present is marked absent and misses out on learning. If your student will be absent for any reason, please call the office: 520-733-0096.
The end of the first semester is fast approaching (only 1 WEEK until Finals!), please encourage your students to finish their first semester strong! Please check Google Classroom and/or teacher emails to determine the last day to turn in makeup work.
WINTER BREAK: Winter Break is Dec. 18 - Jan 1st. The main office will be closed during the break. School will start up again on January 4th.
- Monday, Dec 14 Schedule
- Period 1: 7:45 AM - 8:35 AM
- Period 2: 8:40 AM - 9:30 AM
- Period 3: 9:35 AM - 10:25 AM
- Period 4: 10:30 AM - 11:20 AM
- Period 5: 11:25 AM - 12:15 PM
- LUNCH: 12:15 PM - 12:45 PM
- Period 6: 12:50 PM - 1:40 PM
- Period 7: 1:45 PM - 3:15 PM
- Tuesday, Dec 15 Schedule
- Period 1: 8:30 AM - 10:00 AM
- BREAK: 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM
- Period 2: 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
- Wednesday, Dec 16 Schedule
- Period 3: 8:30 AM - 10:00 AM
- BREAK: 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM
- Period 4: 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
- Thursday, Dec 17 Schedule
- Period 5: 8:30 AM - 10:00 AM
- BREAK: 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM
- Period 6: 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Earning credits! The end of the semester is approaching... T-minus 1 week! Semester grades of 60% or higher earn .5 credits per class (except study hall and student council). Attendance and communication are key to student success. Commit to attending all classes, check email and Google Classroom regularly and reach out to teachers and staff when you need help!
- Click here for more information about Arizona graduation requirements.
- Track your goals/productivity in game form! Check out Habitica
- Set alarms for your classes and use reminder tools to keep you on track!
Mindfulness Club: Feeling anxious? Need a break? Looking for self-care? Students can join Mindfulness Club, via Google Classroom!
Class code: jhp7mwh
Learn techniques to deal with anxiety and stress and connect with peers through discussion posts. Get centered with meditation and yoga videos! We may incorporate club video meetings in the future.
JTED: Enrollment in JTED courses for the 2021-2022 school year starts in late January 2021! Programs are first come, first served. Visit the JTED website for more details.
- Ms. Figueroa met virtually with seniors on Monday 11/2. Senior ECAP activities are still being accepted. **
- The junior virtual ECAP presentation took place Monday, 11/9. Junior ECAP activities are still being accepted. **
- The virtual ECAP presentation for sophomores was Friday 11/20* Sophomore ECAP activities are still being accepted. **
- Freshmen attended their virtual ECAP presentation Wednesday 11/25*. Freshman ECAP activities are still being accepted. **
**Remember, you are awarded points in your English class for your quarterly ECAP activities, which are required for graduation. Save these dates, as attending the ECAP presentation in your English class is essential to your success!
*Freshmen and sophomores will be building resumes during this lesson, so start thinking about activities you can include!
Transcript Request Forms: Students in need of an official or unofficial transcript (for college admissions, scholarship applications, job applications, etc.) must fill out a Transcript Request Form and submit it to Ms. Figueroa. Please allow two school days to fulfill the request. The revised Google Form version of the Transcript Request Form may be found on Ms. Figueroa's Google Classroom page.
PREPARING FOR COLLEGE
Virtual Visits: UA, ASU, NAU: The universities in our state invite students to "experience" their campuses via virtual tours. Check out what Arizona schools have to offer: Virtual Experience ASU, UA Virtual Visits, NAU Virtual Visits
Terrific 10 College Exploration Series:
The Terrific 10 are some of the largest public universities in the country, joining together to present a series of events to demystify the college search process. Check out past virtual College Exploration Series event programming!
|Hear from admission experts at:|
- Arizona State University
- Clemson University
- Penn State
- The University of Texas at Austin
- University of California San Diego
- University of Colorado Boulder
- University of Georgia
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Nebraska
- University of Oregon
Financial Aid Advice: Thank you to all who participated in our Financial Aid Night last quarter! If you weren't able to attend, check out the recorded webinar. The HEFAR group hosts regular webinars for families with the goal of helping you learn how to qualify for the maximum amount of grants through the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Check out this week's 6 minute mini-webinar: Most Common Questions: 529 PlansPaying for College: Avoiding the Most Common Mistakes Parents Make View the HEFAR website for more information.
FAFSA: The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) opened Oct. 1, at fafsa.gov! Senior parents and students MUST fill out the application (using 2019 tax returns) in order to receive any federal grants or loans for college. Before logging on, go to https://fsaid.ed.gov/ to get your FSA ID. Every parent AND student must have an ID. Here is a helpful link from the Department of Education: https://blog.ed.gov/2019/09/7-things-need-fill-2020-21-fafsa-form/
**FAFSA funds are first come, first served! Many colleges have a preferred FAFSA deadline in January. Submit FAFSA ASAP!**