High School - Policies and Procedures
The Academy of Tucson High School Student/Parent Handbook is currently being revised.
Please check back for more updates.
Attendance and Tardiness
Since consistent attendance is essential to academic success, students must attend school regularly, arrive on time, and not leave during the school day for unnecessary business. State law charges the parent with the responsibility for the student’s consistent school attendance. A student must be in attendance a minimum of ninety (90) percent of each semester per class period. Excessive absences may result in the student not receiving credit for the course(s). An absence is defined as all or part of a school day, excused or unexcused. An excused absence is one in which the parent has notified the school within 24 hours of the student’s absence and the school administration has approved the absence. Administration may require verification of an absence due to illness or injuries.
- Regular school attendance is essential for success in school; therefore, absences shall be excused only for specific reasons including illness, bereavement, family emergencies, and observance of major religious holidays of the family’s faith.
- Before scheduling medical and dental appointments, the Administration strongly encourages parents to consult the school calendar and school hours. In addition, family vacations should be scheduled when school is NOT in session.
- In the event of an absence, the parent is expected to inform the school by calling the school office.
- If a student is absent for an extended period of time for medical reasons, documentation from a medical doctor may be required at the discretion of administration. The documentation will outline any limitations to which the student must adhere.
- When the school has not been notified of an absence, the school shall make reasonable efforts to notify parents of a student absence.
- It is the parents’ responsibility to provide the school with the most recent telephone contact number.
- Parents will be notified in writing of excessive school absences.
Actions taken by the school for absences:
- Three absences: After three (3) absences per class period per semester (including both excused and unexcused absences), the office will notify the parent/guardian by phone or email.
- Six Absences: After six (6) absences per class period per semester (including both excused and unexcused absences), a letter will be mailed home and the Principal may hold a phone and/or facetoface conference with the parent/guardian.
- Nine Absences: After nine (9) absences per class period per semester (including both excused and unexcused absences), the student and parent/guardian will meet with the Principal. At the high school level, the student may be dropped from the class with a W/F and will have to pay to retake the class over the summer.